There’s nothing more convenient than having a garbage disposal in your kitchen – it makes cleaning up after a big meal quick and easy. However, with plenty food to go around during the holidays, your garbage disposal can be put to the test, and pushed to its limit. Here are some tips on how to keep your garbage disposal running!
While using your disposal…
- Use Cold Water: Running cold water in the sink while operating your garbage disposal can help troublesome food particles down the drain.
- Chop it up: Just because the garbage disposal can handle a particular item doesn’t mean it should go in as it. Avoid feeding things like an entire corncob down the drain. Chop larger items into chunks, as gradually disposing food will help avoid clogs.
- Keep it Fresh: Disposing zesty rinds such as lemons, limes, and oranges can deodorize your garbage disposal the natural way – eliminating unwanted odors.
Garbage disposals aren’t going to be able to accept just any food item. So, avoid putting certain items down the drain to extend the life of the appliance.
Things to avoid putting into your disposal:
- Bones, Seeds & Pits: Even the best garbage disposals will struggle with tough items such as these. It’s better to just throw them away.
- Coffee Grounds: While these won’t affect your garbage disposal immediately, dumping them out day after day can gradually wear down the blades and clog the drain.
- Fibrous Foods: Stringy, slimy fibers found in the membranes of eggshells, celery, asparagus, and the insides of gourds don’t break up well in a garbage disposal. They can wrap around the blade and cause clogs.
- Greases of any Kind: The drain isn’t the best option when it comes to disposing grease as it can coat the blades of your garbage disposal, increasing the risk of bacteria and decreasing the disposal’s effectiveness.
Following these tips will help you keep your garbage disposal in top condition, but if you find yours struggling after every meal, the plumbers over at E.T. Lawson will be able to help! Give us a call or contact us online to make sure your disposal is up to the challenge this year.